Farmhouse Strawberry Biscuit Shortcake
Is there anything better than baking with fresh strawberries in the summer? Add biscuits and a dollop of whipped cream and you have an old-fashioned dessert that never goes out of style.
We were inspired to make this classic dessert in our modern farmhouse kitchen, the Phoenix IV plan. The best biscuits for shortcakes are always those made from scratch. You’re going to love this recipe because it’s quick and easy – something even the little ones can help with.
• 2 pints hulled and sliced strawberries
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• Juice from 1/2 lemon
• 1-1/2 C heavy whipping cream
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoon sugar, plus 1 for sprinkling
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 6 tablespoons cold butter cut into small cubes
¾ cup milk
1. Mix sliced strawberries and sugar in a bowl. Let chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
2. Preheat oven to 425 F and butter a baking sheet
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter using a
pastry cutter of mixer until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until
dough pulls away from sides of bowl. *Don’t overwork the dough.
4. Place dough onto lightly floured surface and gently knead 3-4 times. Gently roll or pat the dough to ½ inch thickness.
5. Cut out rounds with a floured 3-inch glass or cookie cutter. Gather the remaining dough and repeat until all dough is used.
6. Place cut out rounds onto prepared baking sheet and sprinkle biscuits with granulated sugar. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
7. In a separate bowl, beat chilled whipping cream, honey and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
8. Split biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon on some strawberries, a dollop of whipped cream and top with the other biscuit half. Garnish with more whipped cream and strawberries if desired. Enjoy!
Is there anything better than baking with fresh strawberries in the summer? Add biscuits and a dollop of whipped cream…